Cannot install Fedora Core 4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jan 17 01:27:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 16:50 -0600, Russell Golden wrote:
> that is the problem. it can't get that far. i get the "boot:" prompt,
> then when it tries to mount the root filesystem while booting the kernel
> off the CD, it says
> kernel panic - not syncing. VFS: cannot mount root filesystem on unknown
> block (8,3).
> the boot: prompt is the only prompt i can reach

You mean that entering "linux rescue" at the "boot:" prompt off the
CD panics?  Are you SURE you're booting off the CD?  Get into your
BIOS and make SURE that the CD is checked BEFORE the hard drive.
Ideally, you should set the BIOS to boot in this sequence:

	floppy first
	CD/DVD second
	hard drive third
	network last

> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 19:47 -0600, Russell Golden wrote:
> >

> >>yeah small problem with that... none of the modes will boot.
> >>unless you mean i should let the thing run through its kernel panic
> >>script...?
> >>I'm trying to install it on a laptop that doesn't have a floppy drive,
> >>might that have something to do with it?
> >>

> >Absolutely not.  You have to boot of the first CD in rescue mode.  That
> >means that you boot off the CD, then at the "boot:" prompt, put in
> >"linux rescue".  The system will boot of the CD and go look for your
> >Linux installation.  If it is found, then the system will ask you if you
> >want to mount it.  Answer "Yes".  The system will mount the installed
> >Linux system at "/mnt/sysimage" and drop you to a "#" prompt.  That's
> >when you put in the five commands:
> >
> >	# chroot /mnt/sysimage
> >	# cd /boot
> >	# mkinitrd -v -f initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
> >	# exit
> >	# exit
> >
> >as I described earlier.  That rebuilds your initrd image and reinstalls
> >it.  Note that the "2.6.11-1.1369_FC4" bit refers to the kernel that was
> >installed (and that value is the kernel installed with FC4).  If you use
> >a different kernel, replace the above with your kernel version.

-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -