simple downloading from the internet?

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 18 18:38:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:19:29AM -0800, mike wrote:
> so if i have some type of xwindows intalled i can browse the net and downoad
> files like windows, but what if i have nothing, no gui.  what's the easiest
> way to download things off the net?  right now i'm downloading them with my
> windows box, and ftp'ing them to my unix.  seems like there should be an
> easier way!  i dont' get mget on this box either, which i believe someone
> suggested before...

Perhaps you mean wget?  That's useful if you have the full URL to the
file.  If you have it you can

  wget http://some.web.site/full/path/to/desired/file.tar.gz

or

  wget ftp://some.web.site/full/path/to/desired/file.tar.gz

If that's not available, see if you have lynx, a text mode browser,
then use it from the command line as

  lynx http://some.web.site/

and navigate to where you want to go.

If you have neither but have yum, you should be able to

  yum install lynx

or

  yum install wget

to install the desired RPMs from the 'Net.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace begins not at a Mideast table, but at a Mideast stable