unable to mount a CD and cannot listen to music

takatsugu kobayashi tkobayas at indiana.edu
Tue Jan 24 19:04:59 UTC 2006

Dear all,

I have recently migrated from Windows to Redhat WS4. I have a problem
regarding my CD-DVDROM.

When I inserted a music CD and tried to listen to it, audio player
started to run, but cannot listen to music at all. I checked my sound
card configuration, but it is properly working. I googled for the
solution, and changed sound stuff with kmix, but nothing happened.......

Then I thought something should be wrong with mounting CDROMs, and it is
a problem. When I tried to mount a CDROM, I got an error message like

/dev/hdb: Input/output error
mount: block device /dev/hdb is write-protected, mounting read-only
/dev/hdb: Input/output error
mount: /dev/hdb: can't read superblock

I would not mind the first error because this was a music CD. But I have
no idea why I cannot mount any CDs...... I appreciate any help in advance.

Taka