Word To The Wise...

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Thu Jan 26 19:58:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, January 26, 2006 11:47 am, Rick Stevens said:
> On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 18:51 -0700, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>> I use VNC a lot. With Fedora Core 4, I was pleasantly surprized to see
>> that I can share my desktop with some different options. The time came
>> this past weekend when my wife (Windows XP Pro) needed to see something
>> on
>> my screen and so I VNCed to her PC and (you see what's coming don't
>> you...) VNCed back to mine through that VNC window.
>>
>> You know the affect you get when you stand in a room with mirrors on
>> both
>> walls? You see yourself, looking at yourself, looking at you looking at
>> yourself and so on and so on and so on...
>>
>> Do you know how hard it is to close a VNC window when it's regenerating
>> one every few micro-seconds? Now you don't have to. I did it for you.
>>
>> ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHH!
>>
>> HTH (someone).  And I didn't want to get up and walk the 18 feet to
>> where
>> she has her PC. Laziness is its own punishment, someone wiser than I
>> once
>> said.
>
> You could have "su - killall vncviewer" on your box to "end the
> madness", but that'd be too simple...

Oh come on Rick... and not be able to see (morbid curiosity here) how many
new 'windows' before the system stalls? Perish the thought.

I'd have used fuser -k /usr/bin/vncviewer anyway. . . Yes, I'm a bit anal.

Karl

> :-)

> -    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
> -                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---