Basic question : How to add new packages in RH ES 4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jan 27 18:22:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 14:01 +0200, Maxim Vexler wrote:
> Thank you, I managed to get it working by issuing "up2date firefox".
> Is there some frontend to up2date ? Because I'm affried that if I
> would do this the "rpm way" I would be required to manually supply all
> the dependencies for firefox and I would really prefer this to be an
> automatic process.

You can set up up2date to run automatically, enter this command at root:

	chkconfig rhnsd on

will set it to run on the next boot.  By default, up2date will run every
four hours (240 minutes).  You can change that by
editing /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd and changing the value for INTERVAL=.

To start this process immediately AND set it to do it again on boot,
enter these commands as root:

	chkconfig rhnsd on
	service rhnsd start

-               The Theory of Rapitivity: E=MC Hammer                -
-                                  -- Glenn Marcus (via TopFive.com) -