fax modem vs modem

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Fri Jan 27 21:45:06 UTC 2006

Greetings Rick,
Rick Stevens wrote:

< snip >

> I prefer using the separate boxes for several reasons:
>
> 	1. I already had them (and I'm cheap!)
>
> 	2. Often the "all-in-one" scanners aren't as good (lower
> 	resolution) as a real scanner.

Well from my own experience ( my Lexmark X1155 ) i would say
that if you don't want to scan something with pretty tiny details
then the "all in one" thing will do a terriffic job . All it comes down
to what you want to scan .

> 	2. The "all-in-one" boxes often require special drivers that
> 	the makers simply won't provide to us open-source guys, so you
> 	have to roll your own or wait for linux-printing.org to come up
> 	with one.

I second that . Meanwhille i always enjoy dual booting if neccessary .

Kind Regards,
    Kostas