HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sat Jan 28 01:41:19 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 16:42 -0800, Biswajit Nayak wrote:
> Hi Experts,
>    I want to enable the DMA on my linux server. I got
> the following error "HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation
> not permitted ". Any take on this ?
>
>  [root at localhost ocsperf]# /sbin/hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>  using_dma    =  0 (off)
> [root at localhost ocsperf]#

Did you boot the system with "nodma" set?  Check the output of
"cat /proc/cmdline" to see.  If you did, you'll have to reboot the
system WITHOUT that option.

It's also possible that your controller (or drive) doesn't permit DMA.

-   "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?"  "I don't remember"  -
-                            -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -