NIC speed

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jan 30 17:33:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 14:50 +0000, Tech Guy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> FTP connection is kind of slow on my server running Redhat 3.0
> When I tried to view the NIC speed using mii-tool and ethtool, they
> both show different speeds. mii-tool shows 100Mbps and ethtool shows
> 1000Mbps

Yeah, that's not uncommon.  Trust ethtool.  mii-tool gets confused on
some hardware.

> # mii-tool -v eth0
> eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
>   product info: vendor 00:aa:00, model 56 rev 0
>   basic mode:  autonegotiation enabled
>   basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
>   capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
>   advertising:  100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
> flow-control
>   link partner: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
>

> # ethtool eth0
> Settings for eth0:
>         Supported ports: [ TP ]
>         Supported link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                                 1000baseT/Full
>         Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>         Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                                 1000baseT/Full
>         Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>         Speed: 1000Mb/s
>         Duplex: Full
>         Port: Twisted Pair
>         PHYAD: 0
>         Transceiver: internal
>         Auto-negotiation: on
>         Supports Wake-on: umbg
>         Wake-on: d
>         Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
>         Link detected: yes
>
> dmesg shows "e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps
> Full Duplex"
>
> which is the correct setting? is it 100 or 1000 Mbps ?
> what could be the cause for a slow FTP connection. All other servers
> are fine except this.

Upload or download?  Binary or text?  FTP or sftp?  And what's slow?
The actual data transfer, the login process or what?

Oh, and if it's possible, PLEASE don't send advertising on your messages
to the list.
-      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -