Installer searching for USB driver

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jul 7 17:18:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 10:53 +0530, Mohan Radhakrishnan wrote:
> Hi,
>
>        I am trying to boot linux from iomega USB drive. Why is the
> installer popping up a dialog box showing me a list of drivers to
> choose from ?
>
> Even my SATA drive was not initially recognized when I choose to
> install from the hard drive. I have to choose 'combination' from the
> PC boot options to make the drive controller work with older software.
> The the installer could recognize this.
>
> Is there any way to help the installer recognize the USB drive.

What version of Red Hat are you trying to install?  Keep in mind that up
until RHEL4, SATA support was extremely limited to non-existent.  RHEL4,
Fedora Core 4 and 5 have reasonable SATA support, but anything on a 2.4
kernel was virtually absent.

When you say USB drive, are you referring to a USB-based hard drive or
a FLASH drive (pen drive)?  If it's a hard drive, the system SHOULD
recognize it as a SCSI drive, e.g. /dev/sda.

-   NEWS FLASH! Intelligence of mankind decreasing!  Details at...   -
-     uh, when, uh, the little hand is, uh, on the...  Aw, NUTS!     -