Printing for Windows Client

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Jul 14 15:40:19 UTC 2006

On Fri, July 14, 2006 7:47 am, Gregory Shadunsky said:
> Hi!
>
> I am learning Linux and the best way to learn is to use it.  So, I
> installed Red Hat 9.0 on Dell Dimension Desktop. Connected printer to
> LPT1.
>
> Now I have a need to print from Windows XP client on the same network.
> What package or pacages should be installed?  Is it possible to make
> Windows to see Linux partition on the same network?

You have essentially 2 options

1. Samba, which enables Linux to look like Windows Network Neighborhood. The
configuration file is /etc/samba/smb.conf.

2. LPR/LPD TCP/IP. This configuration necessitates editing the permission
file, /etc/lpd.perms where you have to turn on accepting 'remote' access to
the printer daemon. You turn on DEFAULT ACCEPT, then disallow whatever you
need to for security. You also have to have cups-lpd installed and enabled.

For more information, ask.

HTH

Karl

> Gregory.

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---

--
karl