hugemem? smp?

chuck lawrence celawrence at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 19 22:04:50 UTC 2006

thanks to good-hearted folks here, I've been using the hugemem kernel to
address 8gb of ram on my dual opteron rh es 3.0 servers.

one user has reported that the cpu load balancing seems different on
these, compared to other servers with generic kernels (and less ram).
in particular, he says the hugemem systems pile more processes onto the
first processor, before moving on to the 2nd.

is hugemem multi-processor by default?  is there something else I should do?

--

  | charles e. lawrence | lawrence berkeley nat'l lab |

     "If the human body did patch management the way
      (companies do), we'd all be dead."

                www-eng.lbl.gov/~lawrence