Confused on Dual Boot OS with RHEL4 and FC5

interp01 interp01 at sevenbelow.com
Wed Jul 26 07:14:49 UTC 2006

Sorry for the novel here, but Im very close to getting this working and
I think I crossed some streams some where :-)  Any insight as to what Im
doing wrong is greatly appreciated.  I did search the H3LL out of google
and nothing came back on what Im attempting to do...

<Novel>

I really need some insight on this one as Im very confused as to why my
Dual boot system is not working.  I am attempting a dual boot OS with
RHEL 4 and FC5 using Grub Boot loader.  I have attempted several
configurations trying to sort this out and have ended with the following
and don't understand why this wont boot.

I have created 3 partitions (I created the sda3 for FC5 via the FC5
installer through an NFS install, not sure if that matters or not):

/dev/sda1 as /boot
/dev/sda2 as PV 1 aka VolGroup00
/dev/sda3 as PV 2 aka VolGroup01

Under both of the VolGroup's I have created two Logical Volume's:
/ aka VolGroup00/LogVol00
SWAP VolGroup00/LogVol01

And

/ aka VolGroup01/LogVol00
SWAP VolGroup01/LogVol01

I installed RHEL 4 first under VolGroup00 (/dev/sda2 - booted fine) and
then installed FC5 under VolGroup01.  I was expecting Grub to pick up
the new install and just create a new Stanza that referred to the newly
installed VolGroup01 (FC5).  By default FC5 came up and apparently over
wrote the grub.conf file with only the FC5 Stanza pointing to
VolGroup01.  FC5 boots fine but RHEL4 does not.  When I altered the
grub.conf file to have the older RHEL4 Stanza and attempted a boot the
boot process threw a kernel panic attack.  I thought it might have
something to do with the LABEL and attempted the boot with the partition
name (/dev/sda2) and still received the same kernel panic attack.

After examining the fstab file on the FC5 instance I noticed that my
VolGroup00/LogVol00 entry for my original RHEL 4 / LABEL was removed.  I
was actually expecting to see two entries here, one for the
VolGroup00/LogVol00 for RHEL4 / and one for the VolGroup01/LogVol01 for
FC5 /. Instead I only saw the FC5 / entry.  I asked a colleague of mine
about this and he mentioned that I could not use the RH install Wizard
to create multiple LV / partitions under the same VolGroup and that I
needed to do it manually using lvcreate, mk32fs and then e2label
labeling the newly create LV as /.  This approachdid in fact work, but
Im still not sure why my original approach didn't.  Im very confused as
to why neither approach has worked for me.  In theory a machine with 3
partitions as described aboved should render two PV's and essentially
two bootable OS's, shouldn't it???? Do you really need to have all /
partitions for both OS's under the same VG?  Wouldn't two separate VGs
with the same LV's (/ and SWAP) perform the same task???

</Novel>

Any explanations here is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Interp01