samba problem

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Mon Jun 5 01:23:23 UTC 2006

> Dear All,
>

> I have two hosts (rhel1.example.com, IP:192.168.0.10, rhel2.example.com,
> IP:192.168.0.12)
>
> I have share the folder /mnt/share in samba service.
>
> /etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> [newshare]
>
> comment=test
>
> path=/mnt/share
>
> public=yes
>
> writable=yes
>
> hosts allow = 192.168.0.
>
> It was succesful to mount the share folder with smbmount
>
> But if i change the hosts allow = .example.com
>
> It was failed to mount the share folder.
>
> Is it any syntax error in smb.conf
>
> P.S I already add the statement 192.168.0.12 rhel2 rhel2.example.com in
> /etc/hosts of rhel1

Having the domain pointed to 192.168.0.12 is invalid as smb/nmb won't look in
/etc/hosts. You have to use the IP addresses only in this case. You can use
the hosts file if you remove .com and just use a simple host name, Ie: rhel2
without the domain.

At least I believe that to be the case. Tomorrow when the majority of the list
is back at work, you may get a better answer.

Karl