aic7xxx probe/driver install hangs installing RH enterprise 4

Todd Carter Todd.Carter at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 5 21:49:51 UTC 2006

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 10:39 -0700, Todd Carter wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've got an Adaptec AIC7899 SCSI interface on an IBM intellistation (MP)
>> that's giving me fits.
>>
>> I've searched for a solution and tried:
>> linux noprobe then selecting the aic7xxx driver during the install phase
>> (still hangs)
>> linux apic (no luck)
>>
>> I've tried Scientific Linux 4.3 (Redhat AS 4 variant), RH Ent 4 WS which
>> don't work.
>> However the venerable Fedora Core 4 works!
>>
>> Are there any parameters I can pass to the driver install that may get
>> me passed this?
>>

> You could try "aic7xxx=no_probe".  Also check the termination on the
> bus.  Most probe hangs are caused by termination issues.  Remember, only
> the drive at the end of the cable should be terminated--the rest should
> not be.
>
> If you can boot up FC4, have a look at the /boot/grub/grub.conf file
> and see what parameters are passed to its kernel, then try those on
> the install command line.

Rick,
aic7xxx=no_probe had no effect. Grub.conf has no special parameters
passed to the kernel.  The scsi cable has one terminator connection at
the end, one drive that is first in the chain and the rest are open
connectors.

This server has had RH 8,9 and FC4.  It's just odd that this scsi driver
would 'fail' so far down the line of OS upgrades.

Thanks for the suggestions.  If there's a rabbit to be pulled out of the
hat then I'm all ears.

Todd