Installing FC5 with hard disk mode crashes with repomd.xmlerror 256

Rizwan Mohamed Dawrey rdawrey at Jeddah.gov.sa
Wed Jun 7 06:23:29 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Rick
Stevens
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 8:35 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: Installing FC5 with hard disk mode crashes with
repomd.xmlerror 256

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 10:10 +0300, Rizwan Mohamed Dawrey wrote:
> Hello,
>
>             I am trying to install fedora with alternate install
> method (hard drive installation) as
>
> described in the install guide with the iso images. Am able to boot
>
> into a text mode installation and it correctly takes the path of the 5
> iso's  and
>
> all the screens for network and grub etc. are fine until I think when
> it tries to read
>
> package info and it crashes with the follo error -
>

> --------------------
>
> Unable to read package metadata
>

> Cannot open/read rcpomd.xml file for repository.
>
> Failure : repodata/repomd.xml from anaconda: [Errno 256]
>
> ------

>The ISO images must be named EXACTLY as they are on the download site
>(including capitalization) and you must make certain they are readable
>by everyone.

>If you're installing FC5 for a 32-bit Intel machine, the ISOs MUST be
>named:

>	FC-5-i386-disc1.iso
>	FC-5-i386-disc2.iso
>	FC-5-i386-disc3.iso
>	FC-5-i386-disc4.iso
>	FC-5-i386-disc5.iso

>Or, using the DVD ISO image:

>	FC-5-i386-DVD.iso

-                   To err is human, to moo bovine.                  -

The iso's are on a fat32 partition. And I am using loadlin to boot into
the
linux installer. When I get the welcome to fedora screen, I do an alt +
f2
to switch to the command shell and when I mount the partition holding
the
iso images, its exactly the same as you mentioned. I even checked the
sha1 signatures to confirm proper downloading. Its still giving the
same error.

Any more clues.... ?

Regards,

R.M.D.