Kickstart NFS installations

Jason Nemecek jnemecek at sandisk.com
Tue Jun 13 18:39:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 10:04 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > "You are trying to install on a machine which isn't supported by
this
> > release of RedHat Linux WS"

> That smels like it's not seeing the RPMs.  I strongly suspect that
using
> the IP address instead of the host name will solve this.

Nope. No difference when I use the IP address. It sees the ks.cfg file
on the server and uses it for answers to lang, langsupport, keyboard,
mouse, timezone, root PW, etc...  so in theory it *should* still be able
to find the same server for RPMs. In any case, I tried it with IP only
to take DNS out of the equation and got the same "isn't supported"
message.

> > Is there any method that one could automate 50 workstation installs
> > using RHEL4 WS ?

> Cloning the disk using Ghost or something like it would be far faster
> than a kickstart/NFS install.  Install one machine.  At the end,
> DON'T let it restart.  Just shut down.  Pop in a drive from one of the
> other machines (re-address it first), then use Ghost to clone the
disk.
> Address the drive back to its original setting and put it back in the
> new machine.  When it boots, you'll go through the initial set-up
> ("firstboot") stuff.

Do you know of any non-windows solutions? It's funny that Redhat
provides this great network install tool but it doesn't work, or even
give a sane error message. Since I bought the machines preloaded from
Dell, Redhat won't provide any support at all. Nice.

Thanks for your answers.

*Jason