Email Help

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Sat Jun 24 04:29:29 UTC 2006

I though I'd sent this message out about a week ago but haven't
seen it show up or any replies so maybe I forgot (been doing a
lot of OT at work lately).

Anyway, awhile ago this list helped me get my son's XP machine to
pick his email up from my FC2 box that uses fetchmail to go out
and download the families email and hold it for later reading.

Well that machine finally died and we had to purchase a new XP
machine for school programs.

The instructions were:

Make sure dovecot was installed on the FC2 box using "service
dovecot status" seems to be working OK.

Then using telnet 192.168.1.55 143 from the XP box and I get
dovecot answering back.

Setting up Outlook to go to 192.168.1.44 using IMAP (port 143).
On the old machine the email came right over.  ON the new machine
I get a TCP/IP error.

Anyone have any ideas?  About the only thing I can think that may
be different would be the Nortons virus program that came with
the computer.  Problem is I don't know how to shut it down to
test it and if that is it how can telnet work?

Thanks,

Brad Mugleston, KI0OT

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
understand binary and those that don't.