Email Help

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 23:42:11 UTC 2006

On 6/24/06, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
<SNIP>
> > Is telnetting from XP to the Linux machine at 192.168.1.55  on port
> > 143. If so, then why is the second command using 192.168.1.44? Isn't
> > the machine at 55, not 44?
> >
> >   What are the addresses of the two (or three) machines involved?
> >
> >   Anyway, I'm of little or no help here. Just thought I'd pick off an
> > easy one. Guess not.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark

> Mark,
>
> I think it's mostly because I'm a poor typest.  It should be
> 192.168.1.55  for both.
>
> Brad

OK, that helps clarify then.

1) Are you sure you didn't mistype either the IP address inside of
Outlook then?

2) Normally the network daemons can be configured for verbose logging
to look at people trying to hack in. What is it on your RH machine?
xinetd or something like that? If so can you configure that option,
restart the daemon, and then try logging in using Outlook and seeing
what the logs say?

(Sorry - I don't personally run any flavor of RH anymore except my
son's one machine and even it is becoming something else this summer.)

3) You could try putting something like ethereal on the RH machine and
see if it will tell you what's going on. It should be very good at
describing what the WinXP box is doing, assuming the connection is
being made at all.

Unfortunately it seems to me that we don't know which side the problem
lies on - Linux not allowing the connection or XP/Outlook not making
it.

- Mark