Fedora Core Five Borked!

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Mon Jun 26 04:40:50 UTC 2006

My FC5 system died. It won't boot. It gets to a line that says:

device-mapper: 4.6.0-ioctl (2006-02-17) initialised: dm-devel at redhat.com

and just hangs. The system has mirrored sata_sil disks, with a couple IDE
disks and a DVD/RW drive.

Apparently, from my testing and messing around, it's after a nightly yum
update that the system quit booting. I reinstalled twice now. The sytem
rebooted and worked fine, then I did

yum update

which updated over 600 packages and the system wouldn't boot the next time I
tried to reboot. So, this time I haven't updated it and it's booted several
times just fine. I think I'll go ahead and let it update, then not shut it
down until a few more updates of things... I did find a google (one hit) that
stated something about using devel repos. There's one for fedora, which I've
renamed and I suspect that might be my problem, so may do an update without
those enabled.

So, what's the general concensus, if any, on this issue?

TIA,

Karl