Fedora Core Five Borked!

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jun 26 17:36:56 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 10:21 -0700, Harold Hallikainen wrote:

> >> dm-devel at redhat.com

> >> IDE

> >> yum
> >> sytem

> >> time
> >> shut it
> >> hit)
> >> which

> >> I earlier posted a question asking about a Linux equivalent of Norton
> >> Ghost (thanks for the responses!). Instead of patiently waiting for
> >> ahead
> >> and tried an FC5 update. After the install, it complained about some PCI
> >> problem (I had problems like this previously with kernel updates) and it
> >> would not run the X server. I could not "update" back to FC4, so I'm now
> >> doing a fresh install. So... guess it doesn't work with everything! This
> >> is an HP Athalon laptop.
> >
> > I might be able to help here.  I have an HP ZV6116US Athlon-64 laptop.
> > The "can't reserve PCI blah" stuff is innocuous...don't worry about it.
> > As to your X problem, it's most likely the nVidia driver.  Make sure you
> > install the livna nVidia driver.  If you use the livna fglrx driver for
> > x86_64, note that it is borked, but X will run without GL acceleration
> > despite the message that's generated.
> >

> Thanks Rick! When the "can't reserve PCI" stuff first started showing up
> (after an FC4 kernel update), my wireless ndiswrapper stuff stopped
> working. I went back to a previous version of the kernel and the errors
> went away and the wireless started working. On video, I've been able to
> use the ATI driver. The machine is something in the ZV6000 series (they
> don't put the full model number on the case), but I'll have to look at the
> exact model when I get home. Do you have FC5 working on your machine
> (including wireless)?

Oh, gawd, right, it's the ATI chipset...NOT the nVidia.  My mistake.  I
also have a normal Athlon machine with nVidia and I got confused.  The
fglrx stuff still holds true on X86_64.

As far as the wifi is concerned, I use ndiswrapper--not the bc43xx
driver.  In my experience, the bc43xx driver has major issues with
WEP/WPL and managed networks.  I don't think it's quite "ready for
prime time".

-       "I'd explain it to you, but your brain might explode."       -