RHEL 4 PPC install problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jun 26 23:05:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 01:50 +0300, Juha Vierinen wrote:
> I am hoping to install Red Hat Application Server v. 2 (AS v. 4 for
> ppc) on a apple powermac dual ppc970 2.0GHz. The checksum for the DVD
> is valid, but I cannot get it to boot. The iso doesn't even seem to be
> valid, atleast I cannot mount it. Here is the link:
>
> https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/channels/downloads.pxt?cid=4042
>
> I have been able to install Fedora Code 5 on the machine. Even after
> having to manually reconfigure the bootloader, I was pleasently
> surprised of how well it seemed to work, after fighting with some
> other PPC distros. But this isn't enough yet. I would like to get
> RHEL4 working, because it is required by XL Fortran 10.1. (I have also
> been able to install XL Fortran on fedora, but it is not fully
> functional.)
>
> Can anybody tell me if there even exists a PPC RHEL4, and what are the
> chances of getting it running on a powermac. On the other hand, if
> somebody knows how to get XL Fortran 10.1 running smoothly on eg.
> Fedora, I will just consider the price I paid for   RHEL as a
> contribution to Linux devolopment...

When you say the "checksum for the DVD is valid", do you really mean the
MD5SUM for the DVD .iso image is valid?  Assuming that's correct, did
you burn the AS4 DVD in the same manner as you burned the FC5 DVD?  If
you're unsure, try mounting the AS4 DVD in a Linux machine and see if
you see a bunch of files on it or just one.  If you see just one, you
didn't burn the DVD correctly.  On a Linux box, the best way to burn
the DVD is:

	# growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/dvd-image.iso

as the root user, of course.

-      I won't rise to the occasion, but I'll slide over to it.      -