Fedora Core Five Borked!

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jun 27 17:27:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 22:30 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> On Mon, June 26, 2006 10:50 am, Rick Stevens said:
> > On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 22:40 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> >> My FC5 system died. It won't boot. It gets to a line that says:
> >>
> >> device-mapper: 4.6.0-ioctl (2006-02-17) initialised: dm-devel at redhat.com
> >>
> >> and just hangs. The system has mirrored sata_sil disks, with a couple IDE
> >> disks and a DVD/RW drive.
> >>
> >> Apparently, from my testing and messing around, it's after a nightly yum
> >> update that the system quit booting. I reinstalled twice now. The sytem
> >> rebooted and worked fine, then I did
> >>
> >> yum update
> >>
> >> which updated over 600 packages and the system wouldn't boot the next time I
> >> tried to reboot. So, this time I haven't updated it and it's booted several
> >> times just fine. I think I'll go ahead and let it update, then not shut it
> >> down until a few more updates of things... I did find a google (one hit)
> >> that
> >> stated something about using devel repos. There's one for fedora, which I've
> >> renamed and I suspect that might be my problem, so may do an update without
> >> those enabled.
> >>
> >> So, what's the general concensus, if any, on this issue?
> >
> > Did you try reverting the kernel back to something earlier?  There have
> > been some issues with udev and later 2.6.16 kernels on some hardware.
> > Check the archives on the fedora-list.  I can do some research if you
> > can give me the hardware info.
>
> I've reverted and can get in. I made the original kernel the default so I
> don't have to pay so close attention when it boots.
>
> I am on an A7N8X-E Asus _Deluxe_ Motherboard. I wish it came with Adaptec SATA
> Mirroring rather than sata_sil (3112A, IIRC). Adaptec comes with a nice Java
> HTTP manager, but it messes system performance if you leave it running.

Hmmm.  Well, since the older kernel came up, it's either a udev issue or
something specific to that driver, and my vote goes with udev.

> I guess I ought to go take a look at the fedora lists... Hmmm.

Yeah.  I can't recall the specifics (a LOT of messages go sailing by in
that list) but there were several threads in there about udev on some
of the newer kernels.

You might also have a wander through bugzilla about it.  There may be
an entry for it in there as well.

-           grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines           -