install Fedora Core 3 --- sata problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jun 27 18:18:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 14:10 -0400, jason zeng wrote:
> Hello,
> I install FC3 and encounted problem. the system prompt that: No hard
> drives have been found. You probably need to manually choose device
> drivers for the installation to succeed.
>
> I click "Yes" and try many SATA drivers on FC3 CD disc 1 but
> failed.when I make partition, automatically or manually , prompt:An
> error has occured -- No valid devices were found on which to create
> new file systems. please chech your hardwere for the cause of this
> problem. Then reboot.

FC3 has VERY limited SATA support.  I'd suggest you try FC4 or FC5.
The SATA is much more robust in those.

> The mainboard is Asus P5LD2-VM,
>  Cpu: Intel  Pentium  D,
>  Memory : DDR2  1Gbytes,
> Netcard:Intel Gigabit LAN controller,
> VGA:Intel Graphics Media  Accelerator 950,
> Storage:Intel ICH7 southBridge support: 1 Ultra DMA 100/66/33,4 Serial
> ATA 3Gb/s ports, ITE IDE controller support: 1 Ultra DMA 133/100

Yeah, I suspect that's where the problem lies.  FC3 really only handles
the Promise SATA controller.  I'm pretty sure Intel Southbridge didn't
arrive until FC4.

- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate -