rsh to redhat linux

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 1 17:45:30 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 10:56 +0000, John Dunn wrote:
> I have a requirement to rsh from a AIX machien to a linux machine
>
> from aixuser on aixhost I run
>
> rsh linuxhost -l linuxuser date
>
> returns
>
> permission denied
>

> /etc/hosts.equiv on linuxhost is
>
> +  aixuser
> +  aixhost
>
> rshd is running on linuxhost
>
> What am I missing?

The /etc/hosts.equiv on the Linux machine should look like:

	+aixhost
	+linuxuser

or

	+aixhost linuxuser

The username in the hosts.equiv must be the username on the Linux box,
not the AIX box.

If possible, I HIGHLY recommend you NOT use rsh, rcp, or telnet--
especially over an unsecured network, as all network I/O is
unencryptyed.  Use the ssh equivalents, ssh and scp.

-               500: Internal Fortune Cookie Error                   -