Sharing Printer

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Mon Mar 6 05:40:51 UTC 2006

On Sun, March 5, 2006 7:38 pm, brad.mugleston at comcast.net said:
> On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>
>> On Sun, March 5, 2006 4:59 pm, brad.mugleston at comcast.net said:
>> > I've got SAMBA set up on my Linux computer and my son is over and
>> > he needs to connet his XP notebook to the network to print on my
>> > printer.
>> >
>> > XP is all messed up, it's nothing like anything I've played with
>> > before and I can't seem to get it to even find my printer or any
>> > of my shared drives.  I was able to figure out how to set up a
>> > workgroup on his computer that matched the one on my Linux
>> > machine (same as the other windows computers use).
>> >
>> > He is getting on the wireless network in the house and that part
>> > works OK.
>> >
>> > Anyway, how does an XP connect to my Linux drives and printer.
>>
>> I think you have to setup the login name he uses on XP as a user on the
>> Linux Samba server. Either that or the name of the XP Computer. You've got
>> good start with the workgroup name, but in my experience it's not
>> necessary
>> if you set the other part up. I apologize for not knowing whether it's the
>> PC name or the login name. To see the syntax, however, type addsmbuser at
>> #
>> and see what it says.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Karl
>>
> Karl,
>
> Thanks for the help but I can't figure it out - yet.  The command
> addsmbuser didn't work but I found smbadduser which doesn't like
> anything I put in.  The computer name is DFOPH071 (assigned from
> the install I guess) but smbadduser DFOPH071 gives and error
> looking for a different format.

I forgot to mention one very annoying idiosyncrasy of MS OSes. If it fails
to connect, some type of caching is done and you have to reboot the OS to
try again. To help make it faster, hold the left-shift key down while
rebooting and it will just restart Windows rather than doing the whole
power-cycle thing.

> He doesn't have to login onto his computer, it just boots and he
> is there.  I'll try to do some more web searches - I had to
> borrow his computer to run my tax software and now I can't
> print it out.  8^(

Even though he doesn't have to login, there's a user. If you click on Start
and Logout, it tells you who you are attemping to logout when it asks if
you're sure.

AND the syntax for smbadduser is smbadduser LOGIN:UNIXID IIRC.
Here's what I get if I just type smbadduser with no arguments:
Written: Mike Zakharoff email: michael.j.zakharoff at boeing.com

   1) Updates /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   2) Updates /etc/samba/smbusers
   3) Executes smbpasswd for each new user

smbadduser unixid:ntid unixid:ntid ...

Example: smbadduser zak:zakharoffm johns:smithj

Again, HTH.

Karl

> Brad

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---