Redhat-install-list Digest, Vol 25, Issue 6

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Mar 7 18:25:16 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 11:37 +0800, shiva wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> How very new to linux, i'm able to install redhat ver 9, now i need to
> configure NFS server any one can give step by step instruction.

First, NEVER reply to a digest message.  Either reply to messages that
relate to your problem or, to create a new subject thread, create a new
message and post it to the list.  Replying to digests is bad form.

NFS SERVER
For NFS to work, you must start the various NFS daemons and create an
export list of directories you want shared on the NFS server.  This is
done by entering the following commands as the root user:

	# service portmap start
	# service nfslock start
	# service nfs start

If you want them to start on the next boot, enter these three commands
as well:

	# chkconfig portmap on
	# chkconfig nfslock on
	# chkconfig nfs on

Next, you must edit the /etc/exports file and put in the directories you
want shared along with the access list of the machines allowed to mount
them.  Details on this are in the exports(5) man page ("man exports").
Once you've edited that file, enter the following command as root:

	# exportfs -a

and they should be shared from that point.  You can verify it by
entering the command:

	# showmount -e

NFS CLIENT
Now, as far as the NFS clients, you have to start up the NFS client
software:

	# service portmap start
	# service netfs start

To have it restart on the next boot:

	# chkconfig portmap start
	# chkconfig netfs on

You then can either mount the shares manually or put them in
the /etc/fstab file so they'll be mounted automatically on boot.  To
mount them manually, create the mountpoint where you want them to go,
then:

	# mount -t nfs server:/share /mountpoint

The equivalent line in /etc/fstab would be:

	server:/share  /mountpoint nfs defaults,rw 0 0

The format of the /etc/fstab is in the fstab(5) man page ("man fstab").

I also HIGHLY recommend you get a book on NFS.  One of the defacto
standards is O'Reilly's "Managing NFS and NIS" by Hal Stern.

-             To iterate is human, to recurse, divine.               -