C4 Install Problems - Part2

Albert A. Hocking III albertahocking at jasnetworks.net
Thu Mar 9 19:40:58 UTC 2006

I was hoping that I would just be able to install after the last time you guys tried to help but I'm witnessing things that I've never seen before and I quite frankly don't even know how to research to find the answer because I don't understand what is going on......

I have tried to install Core 4 five times now and frankly, I'm getting nowhere....The first time was completely my fault because I found out that the second disk I had burned was bad.....so there are four installs where the results were parallel....

After the bad installation, I proceeded to download and make a new disk to replace the second which was bad. After doing so, I started setup again and I assigned the drives to automatically partition like this:

Samsung 40 (Left alone) hda (IDE)
IDE CDROM
Maxtor 160 gig (Left alone) hdc (RAID)
Maxtor 60 gig (Set for new partition) hdd (RAID)

Well, the first time I tried to load I set the language, network and then the partition and the screen after where you review all of the partitions (because I wasn't using Disk Druid) there was an anaconda error.  The first time I didn't do anything about it and told it to ignore and it rebooted the system......The second time I tried to install, it went through all 5 disks with no problem........But when I tried to boot........NO GRUB, it just went straight through to windows.....

Well, I gave it a night because it had been a long day and I tackled it in the morning.......So the first thing that I did was popped a windows 98 disk in and cleaned the partitions off the designated Linux drives to get a fresh install......then before I rebooted I wiped the MBR encase there was anything weird going on there.......then I started setup again........

Well, this time, it was more of the same........I loaded it the first time and after the review of the drives after the Linux drive was designated, anaconda gave an error again........this time, I saved it (all 18 pages of it)......then the system rebooted and I tried to install again........and once again it took the installation and then I rebooted and the same thing happened.....it went straight to windows.....

Well, out of a little frustration, and a little desperation I went to the bios......once there I moved the Linux drive to the first drive to be loaded......Once I powered down and tried to boot from the drive I got an "Error Loading Operating System"....

I would have attached the anaconda error but most mail servers reject that......I can send it if anyone would like, but right now I'm not sure what to do......can anyone give me a direction?