FC3 and firewall rules

Bob Kinney bc98kinney at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 17:00:20 UTC 2006

I am curious about the philosophy of firewall management in Fedora.

While trying to configure sshd on my machine, I used
system-config-securitylevel, launched from the panel menu.  ssh was
checked as a trusted service.

I couldn't connect from the remote machine, and the denied connections
were listed in /var/log/messages.

I ran firestarter, which didn't show port 22 open.  I fixed that and now
all is well.

It is obvious that firestarter is much more robust for configuring security.
What is the purpose then, for the securitylevel applet?  Or, why does it
not update the iptable properly?  Aside from being able to configure SElinux,
it seems kind of useless.

--bc