Help I've got an XP on my Linux network

Ted Potter tpotter at techmarin.com
Tue Mar 21 18:10:32 UTC 2006

On 3/21/06, Mugleston, Brad <brad.mugleston at retirementpartner.com> wrote:
> Here's the low down.  For school purposes we ended up having to purchase
> a Windows machine to run the kids school software (AMD 64 processor so I
> can't wait to assumeulate it into Linux).  But as it's there I want to
> get it working with the network.  I've got SAMBA working on my server
> (FC4) and have somehow managed to map some drives (late last night, hope
> there are still mapped today).  My next step is to set up Email as I
> have my server picking up email from all the places the kids have email
> accounts and delivering it to Linux mail boxes.   I haven't set up
> Outlook for a few years but if I remember correctly it wasn't too
> difficult but then in the older version of windows and mapping a drive
> under SAMBA wasn't too difficult either.
>
> Does anyone know of a good website (with pretty pictures) on how to do
> this or can someone talk me out of (or through) doing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

if the email is stored in a standard pop box just point outlook to
the machine that has the pop mailboxes. Use the ip address of the machine if you
want to make it really simple. You could also modify the stupid
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\host file on the windows machine to use
the fqdn of the linux box - but why bother ?

the two key points here are:

1. The linux box stores email in a standard pop3 mailbox.
2. Use the ip address of the linux box in outlook so the program
can find the machine on your network.

hth