Built new server, but says it has 33Mhz fsb

Matthew Galgoci mgalgoci at redhat.com
Wed Mar 22 20:06:41 UTC 2006

> Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:12:02 -0500
> From: Jason Brown <ninjazjb at gmail.com>
> To: Redhat-install-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Built new server, but says it has 33Mhz fsb
>
> The new server that I built has a 754 AMD Sempron along with a Biostart
> motherboard.  I installed RHEL AS v.4 on it last night and during the
> initial install process it says that it couldn't locate something and it was
> going to assume that it was going to run at 33Mhz FSB.  Seeing that it spit
> out a bunch of things before it goes to the graphical interface for the
> install I couldn't really see what the reason was for making it go at such a
> slow speed.  Is there a way that I can check to see if its still running at
> that speed and if it is, how do I correct it?

You will 1) want to make sure you have the latest bios from your vendor and
2) make sure the timings on the motherboard are set properly for your cpu -
clearly they seem to not be set properly - most modern motherboards set timings
in the bios.

A "load optimal default" operation in the bios might also be another shortcut.

--
Matthew Galgoci
GIS Production Operations