Built new server, but says it has 33Mhz fsb

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 23 19:22:39 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 00:02 -0500, Jason Brown wrote:
> I had a lot of problems with the mobo already.  The BIOS was hosed
> when I got it.  When I would try and change the boot settings it would
> only allow me to be in there for about 5-10 seconds before it would
> either reboot or freeze with random characters.  Once I flashed the
> BIOS and cleared the CMOS I was able to go in and load the optomized
> defaults and change the boot order.  I still however get random
> blackouts on the machine.  Anytime the VGA cable is moved slightly,
> USB cable becomes unplugged, or I take the ethernet cable out of the
> NIC the monitor goes to sleep and the computer is non-responsive and
> then I have to reboot it in order for things to work properly again.
> It does have the NVidia chipset, installing the drivers from them
> maybe correct this problem?  I am also running the x86_64 version of
> the OS.  Is it as stable as the x86 version?

Same source code, just built with the x86_64 compilers and such.

You might get into that BIOS and see if you can kill the APM and/or
ACPI.  That might be causing part of your problem.  Try booting with
the "noapm" and "noacpi" options as well.

Since you've had so many problems with the mobo, I'd really suggest you
return the damned thing and get a different one.  I'm using the ABit
Opteron mobo (can't recall the model as it's at home and I'm in the
office today).  However, it works a treat.

-      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -