Help I've got an XP on my Linux network

Ted Potter tpotter at techmarin.com
Sun Mar 26 00:32:02 UTC 2006

On 3/25/06, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
> I've finally got more time to play with this XP thing and I'm
> still not getting it.  First I want to thank Ted, Bob and Harold
> for their suggestions - I guess I just couldn't follow them.
>
> Anyway, I've got a family XP box that almost everyone in the
> house uses (but me)  I've got a FC4 box in the basement that uses
> Fetchmail to go out and grab emails off the web (lots of various
> sites for the same people)  and brings them
> home for people to read (/var/spool/mail/loginname) - they use to
> use my Linux box (or notebook or a different linux machine) but now
> they want to use the XP machine (teenagers, don't know what to do
> with them).  Anyway they have Outlook on the XP machine and everyone
> has their own account.
>
> I can now map drives from the FC4 box to the XP.  I can also
> print to the printers attached to different Linux machines.  But
> I can't figure out how toget Outlook to read the mail on the FC4
> machine.
>
> What I'd really like is the ability to leave the mail on the FC4
> machine if possible - that way I can back it up.  But if that's
> not availabe I'll live with that.  They will just have to learn
> that when they use the notebook (linux) they will not have access
> to their mail.
>
> So, this is what I believe I need:
>
> Either the ability to recognize the login name on the XP box or
> to tie it to the parameters of Outlook under each login (I
> believe this is the way it works) but how do I tell Outlook where
> to look?  I tried \\192.168.1.55\var\log\mail\sam - for the
> outlook setup under Sam but that didn't seem to find the box.  I
> also tried variations of that.
>
> I haven't even tried to get it to send email but that should be
> easy as in the past I've just use everyones comcast account and
> didn't rely on the mail server to do anything.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Brad Mugleston, KI0OT
>
> There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
> understand binary and those that don't.
>
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Ted Potter wrote:
>
> > On 3/21/06, Mugleston, Brad <brad.mugleston at retirementpartner.com> wrote:
> > > Here's the low down.  For school purposes we ended up having to purchase
> > > a Windows machine to run the kids school software (AMD 64 processor so I
> > > can't wait to assumeulate it into Linux).  But as it's there I want to
> > > get it working with the network.  I've got SAMBA working on my server
> > > (FC4) and have somehow managed to map some drives (late last night, hope
> > > there are still mapped today).  My next step is to set up Email as I
> > > have my server picking up email from all the places the kids have email
> > > accounts and delivering it to Linux mail boxes.   I haven't set up
> > > Outlook for a few years but if I remember correctly it wasn't too
> > > difficult but then in the older version of windows and mapping a drive
> > > under SAMBA wasn't too difficult either.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of a good website (with pretty pictures) on how to do
> [...]
Brad -

just for testing try this.

1. in outlook express go to tools email accounts or whatever
ms calls it these days.

2. look for the server setup area
3. in the pop3 server name use
192.168.1.55
4. in the username password setting use
the login name (from the FC4 box) and password.
5. Under advanced select keep mail on server

Then see if you can receive the email from the FC4
box.

email using tcp/ip not smb that is why it is simple. Your
FC4 box is like many email servers on the internet. They work
the same.

for a simple test on the windows machine get to the dos prompt.
they type:
telnet 192.168.1.55 110
that should log you in to the FC4 box on port 110 (which is used
for pop3 mail) you should get some kind of response.

hth

--
Ted Potter
tpotter at techmarin.com