HAL daemon hangs RHEL 4 Update 2 box @ bootup

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue Mar 28 06:52:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, March 27, 2006 9:41 pm, Marc M said:
> Basically what happens is that I do an 'everything' install (required for
> this machine) and all goes well, then when it does its first full bootup it
> is hung forever.  Obviously the box *does* boot up fully, because I can ssh
> into it if I wait a little bit.   But I am wondering how to kill HAL,
> whatever that is.  Actually I don't want to just kill it, I want to
> permanently disable it if there is a way to do that.  So my options are:

HAL: Hardware Abstraction Layer
about hardware from several sources. See
http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/hal
Disable it permanently: chkconfig --del haldaemon
Turn it off for this session: service haldaemon stop
chkconfig levels: 345 98 02

You might wish to read up on it before completely disabling it.

It's what makes my FC4 and ubuntu boxes so much better than anything else
for card reading, etc.

Karl

> - Any kernel parameters to pass at the same time?   Already have 'rhgb
> quiet' appended (install did it not me);
>
>  - When I ssh in, can anyone tell me how to turn it all off via CLI?  I know
> how to do kill -9 but I don't know enough about init and related bootup
> files.  I do not want to just do a ps -ef| grep HAL* and kill it by process
> number.  Instead I want to remove it but I would also like to know what the
> heck it is, for curiosity's sake.
>
> - Does anyone know of a specific HAL daemon rpm package that I could just
> remove?  I do know how to do that.
>
> - Which brings me to the 'everything' install.  Is this really safe to do?
> I am given req's to do that with this machine, but ordinarily I would want
> to do a somewhat conservative type of install, adding in only what I think I
> need, or might need.  SELinux is off on this machine, as is the firewall so
> I know they aren't interfering.
>
> - Oh, one more thing, please don't tell me to just do up2date.  I am on a
> disconnected DoD network and I cannot just connect up to the RHN / Internet
> for that for both security related and procedural reasons.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Marc

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---