Logging in to bogged down system?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 29 02:30:08 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 17:17 -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> My FC4 system has been running great for months. But today, I headed
> for Arkansas and the server is in California. Once I got here to AR, I
> noticed that it was serving web pages real slowly. I logged in using
> ssh and ran top. I found a TON of httpd processes running, using, at
> that time, 86% of the processor time. I figured I'd try to reboot the
> system through ssh, but now I can't even get in to it that way. I
> connect, but the password is never requested. Instead, I get
> "ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer
> ". So, anything I can do from a couple thousand miles away?

Just keep trying or get someone to hard boot it.  You should also
put the following tweaks in your /etc/sysctl.conf file to tweak
HTTP session handling:

	net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout = 1
	net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog = 2048
	net.ipv4.tcp_syn_retries = 3
	net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 1
	net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse = 1

These will force faster recycling of the TCP connections and will help
block some DDOS attacks.

-         "If you can't fix it...duct tape it!"  - Tim Allen         -