ftp problem with large file

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 30 19:16:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 11:09 -0800, Bret Stern wrote:
> I'm trying to transfer a 200mb .zip file using
> ftp from a remote clients windows server machine
> to my office ftp server.
>
> My office ftp server is RH4 running vsftpd.
>
> The target folder is home/mm a standard
> system generated user folder.
>
> Are there any size limits to this folder?
>
> The error message on the sending ftp client
> is "remote session closed by host".
>
> The transfer works up to about 25 megs (not exact),
> then is terminated. I've tried it twice.
>
> Any ideas welcome.

First, verify via "df" that /home has enough space to hold the 200MB
file.  You'd be surprised at how often that bites people.

Second, verify you don't have quotas set for the user you're logging in
as.

Third, if you're using some species of Windows FTP client, be aware that
some have a limit as to how big a file you can upload.  Try again with a
command-line FTP client or something like CuteFTP.

Fourth, see if there's anything in /var/log/messages regarding the
transfer.

-                  Heisenberg _may_ have slept here                  -