Question about upgrade mode

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 31 17:59:43 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 16:24 +0800, Xiao Wei Zhang wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need to upgrade my RHEL3 and RHEL4 system to the latest service
> level. I have done this by a kickstart file in upgrade mode through
> network. The upgrade is successful, but it can not allow me to perform
> some additional setup(such as updating dirvers or sending messages to
> other machine) besides updating rpms. In install mode I can put some
> scripts in %pre and %post sections in kickstart file. but in upgrade
> mode both of these two sections will be ignored. Is there any way that
> allow me to run some scripts after the upgrade finishes and before
> system reboots. I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Note that the Kickstart manual specificially says:

--------------------- CUT HERE -------------------------------------
For kickstart upgrades, the following items are required:

      * Language

      * Language support

      * Installation method

      * Device specification (if device is needed to perform
        installation)

      * Keyboard setup

      * The upgrade keyword

      * Boot loader configuration

If any other items are specified for an upgrade, those items will be
ignored (note that this includes package selection).
--------------------- CUT HERE -------------------------------------

So you're out of luck running %pre or %post stuff during upgrades.  The
theory is that the items have already been installed and configured, and
the upgrade is primarily to update the code--not the configs.  That's
also why the package selection code is also disabled during upgrades...
you can only upgrade things already installed.  Dependencies are handled
if a new version of something requires another RPM, but you can't
_install_ new or additional packages.

If you must run stuff after the upgrade but before the system is fully
up, you'll have to boot in single-user mode and do your thing there.

Sorry!
-      To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the OS       -