Gnome FC5 Error

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue May 2 03:44:39 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 1, 2006 5:12 pm, Rick Stevens said:
> On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 15:26 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:

>> > That's really not normal.  The last time I saw that sort of error was
>> > when the user's ~/.gnome* directories got whacked.
>>
>> I started having problems with the KDE panels, plus the background image
>> wouldn't change. I removed kdesktoprc and that solved both issues.
>
> Both the gnome-terminal and the KDE panels?

No, apparently the panel problem persists. I'm able to run gnome-terminal
without a hitch in KDE, but the KDE panels are locked up. No text-tips, no
highlighting when mouse-over happens, nothing... It's pretty unstable right
now... Other issues have popped up I'll have to document later and see how
things go for solutions.

>> > Probably.
>>
>> I'll give gnome a re-try after removing .gnome2 (?) Could gconf.d have any
>> issues?
>
> Well, it could if you saved a weird session.  Try deleting the
> ~/.gconfd/saved-state file for the user in question, log in as that user
> and save the session.

I'm the only user on this system. You know, I shouldn't have to remove that
file, except that gnome auto-saves and I can't find an option to check to undo
that 'feature'... I'm bugged with gnome in that it's no where near as
customizable as it used to be.

> BTW, you had mentioned earlier that you didn't know how to save a
> session when you wanted to.  The command is "gnome-session-save".  It's
> not on the menus as it once was.  You can "gnome-session-save --gui" and
> it'll pop up a dialog box regarding the state of the save.

That would be nice sometimes, but not if I save bogus sessions WITHOUT knowing
I'm doing it, just by exiting.

>> > CTRL-H -> DEL is simple, "stty erase <press del key>"
>>
>> Yes, that doesn't work... It's not that part of controlling Xterm that's a
>> problem. I run a program on login. I'd just like NOT to have to do that...
>> It's a minor issue, but having to run it everytime is annoying.
>
> I can grok that.  Of course, you could add something to the bash login
> (or whatever shell you're using) to determine if you're in a gnome-term
> or regular xterm and tweak things accordingly.

The issue is knowing which term I'm using when I ssh or telnet to an AIX
server at work. That's the rub... Our business app, a very fast, clean
green-screen app, uses smoke and mirrors to look a bit 'windowy' with line
characters, etc. Since it's not ncurses, the emulation has to be exact. We've
been WY50 for centuries (okay, not that long) and I made the switch to
'vt100/ansi' like emulators, and I had to twiddle around with the termtype
settings to get xterms to work in a DBMS-specific terminal type.

>> list.
>> >
>> > I don't recall, but was this an upgrade or a fresh install?  I now have
>> > two machines up on FC5, an Athlon-64 laptop with ATI graphics and an
>> > Athlon with nVidia (the nvidia thing was a right bitch to get working)
>> > but neither exhibit that problem.  Note that they were both fresh
>> > installs--not upgrades.  The laptop/ATI seems quite stable, the
>> > Athlon/nVidia hasn't been up long enough nor flogged hard enough for me
>> > to determine its stability yet.  It's running washing machine tests
>> > right now and I should know more tomorrow.
>>
>> Tomorrow never comes, but let us know. This was a fresh install. I prefer
>> fresh installs, however usually save off the subdirectories in my home
>> directory, such as docs, media, pics, palm, etc.
>
> Yup.  Actually, due to some weirdness I inflicted on it, my machine ate
> the LVM config and I had to start over.
>
> I will warn people wanting to use the nVidia drivers...before you even
> start, make sure you have the following RPMs installed:
>
> 	kernel-devel OR the kernel source itself
> 	xorg-x11-server-sdk
> 	pkgconfig
>
> Also be aware that there are some, uhm, "issues" with SELinux and the
> nVidia driver.  They don't set the contexts correctly--even if you
> run the installer with "--force-selinux=yes".  I haven't built up the
> correct changes yet, but until you set them correctly you have to run in
> permissive mode.

Also, it's nice to use ATI cards as they come closer to working with dual head.

Man this thread has been all over the place... I get confused writing back and
I started the dang thing.

Karl