Gnome FC5 Error

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 3 20:51:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 09:35 +0200, Andrew Kelly wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 10:26 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > I'm the only user on this system. You know, I shouldn't have to remove that
> > > file, except that gnome auto-saves and I can't find an option to check to undo
> > > that 'feature'... I'm bugged with gnome in that it's no where near as
> > > customizable as it used to be.
> >
> > You should squawk it to the Gnome people.  They've already changed a
> > number of things due to complaints.  Gnome's just as customizable as it
> > ever was, there just isn't the super-simple GUI stuff to do it anymore.
> > However, to turn automatic session save off, go to
> >
> > System->Preferences->More Preferences->Sessions
> >
> > Uncheck "Automatically save changes to sessions" and check "Ask on
> > logout".
>
> If you could show me how to make that actually work I'd be a remarkably
> happy camper.
> In the Good Old Days(tm), this would give you the chance to tick a
> checkbox and Boom! you'd have the same session at next login. FC5 won't
> offer the checkbox, and at next login you have a rather bullocksed
> session. Mine opens with the save-session applet, an x-term, my home dir
> open in a minimized Nautilus window, and Evolution covering half the
> screen. None of which I asked for, mind you.

Ok, I turned off the "Auto save changes" and turned on the "Ask at
logout" and it behaved in the way you described, so something is
obviously different.  If I have all three checkboxes on, logging in
results in the same layout I had when I logged out.

> <snip>
>
> > > Man this thread has been all over the place... I get confused writing back and
> > > I started the dang thing.
> >
> > It has, indeed.
>
> Have we touched yet upon external monitor issues on the laptop?

I haven't really played with it on the HP I have.  I did turn on dual
head mode but the external port simply mirrored the main display.  I
have NOT played with the xorg.conf file yet.  If I get a chance to
tonight, I will.  I intended to last night but got stuck going to dinner
with a vendor instead.  EXCEEDINGLY dull!

-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -