RHEL4 - rsh: permission denied (new info)

Thomas Walter tbw at geo.hunter.cuny.edu
Tue May 9 18:34:58 UTC 2006

I compared the remote machine referred to below that won't accept an rsh
command with a machine that will. /etc/xinetd.d was missing files
originally on the remote machine and I copied /etc/xinetd.d/rsh from the
working machine to the non-working machine. Also missing was
/usr/sbin/in.rshd which i also copied over. I should have included this
info in my original post.

I have another freshly installed RHEL4 machine (called tom) where I choose
to install "everything" (the problem machine in question did not have "everything"
installed but a subset). Using my "cookbook" I was able to get rsh working
in 5 minutes! I'm now thinking that install somehow left out something but
i have no idea what. Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

Tom

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Thomas Walter wrote:

> I'm trying to get rsh set between two machines (local is Solaris 9,
> remote is RHEL4). I've done it before (I
> have a "cookbook") but I'm missing something. Please help. I'm aware of
> the security issues involved using "r" commands.
>
> What I've done on remote machine:
> - in .rhosts I put FQ machine name and user name.
> - added "+ FQ machine name user" in /etc/hosts.equiv
> - in /etc/xinetd.d/rsh and rexec changed to "disable = no"
> - added rsh to /etc/securetty
> - restarted xinetd
> - no error messages in/etc/log/messages when restarting xinetd.
>
> What I've done on local machine:
> - added remote FQ machine name and same user name to .rhosts
>
> On local machine the command "rsh machinename w" results in "permission
> denied"
>
> On remote machine command "rsh localhost w" results in "permission denied.
>
> TIA.
>
> Tom

Thomas Walter
Geography & Computer Science Departments
Hunter College of the City University of New York
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021

(212)772-5457 Office
(212)772-5268 Fax