Using YUM to install core-source

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue May 16 16:58:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 17:24 +0100, Stuart Sears wrote:

> Bruce Beare wrote:
> > (resend with corrected from: address)
> >
> >  I modified /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo and set the core-source repo to enabled.
> > I likewise did the same for updatte-source. I then would expect to be able to do something
> > like
> >     yum install kernel-source
> > or yum install kernel-src
> >
> > Unfortunately, the kernel source doesn't show -- and a
> >    yum list all
> > doesn't show anything from the core-source or update-source.
>
> does this help?
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2006-February/msg00841.html

As Stuart says, yumdownloader knows how to use that repo, but not yum.
I generally go directly to one of the repos (I prefer kernel.org) and
download the kernel sources directly using anonymous FTP or an http
download.  For example, the kernel source for the latest FC5 is
available at:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/5/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5.src.rpm

-              Careful!  Ugly strikes 9 out of 10 people!            -