Redhat NTPD Clock

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu May 25 17:57:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 00:58 -0400, John Wirt wrote:
> Thanks you several of you, I have RedHat booting to completion just fine
> except for one problem.
>
> Near the end of the boot sequence, RedHat apparently tries to connect to
> some time standard at 66.187.224.4. The sequence is:
>

>   ntpd: Opening firewall for input from 66.187.224.4 port 123
>   ntpd: Opening firewall for input from clock.redhat.com port 123
>   iptables v 1.2.8: host/network clock.redhat.com not found [FAILED]
>
>      use iptables -h for assistance.
>
> However, iptables -h doesn't provide any help.
>
> What is the problem? How can I fix it?

You must have the firewall open ports for TCP and UDP port 53 (DNS).
What's probably happening is that the system is trying to resolve
clock.redhat.com (66.187.224.4 and 66.187.233.4) and can't because the
firewall is blocking DNS issues.  This happens if you used the "maximum"
setting on system-config-securitylevel as that blocks EVERYTHING
(including DNS).  Use the "medium" security setting.

-        Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.        -