install from usb stick

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri May 26 02:58:40 UTC 2006

On 5/25/06, Mark Hammerton <mhammerton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a  2gb stick and i would like to us it to do custom RHEL 4 installs.
> The problem is when i use the iso that i have created it doesnt boot at all,
>  I used the mkisofs command and specified the el torrito boot that came with
> RHEL on the cd1.
>
> I see that redhat says that i can use the diskboot.img file from on the cd
> to create a bootable usb however this is only just to boot i need the entire
> five cds to fit on the one usb stick.  I will remove a few rps that i do not
> need such as some from kde and a few from gnome since i dont need a GUI.
>
> But can anyone help me with getting all cds on to one usb stick.

Here is something I have done. Install Damn Small Linux (DSL) onto
your usb stick. That should allow you to use the whole stick. Add the
kernel and ram disk images from the boot.iso or diskboot.img matching
your version including update level and tweak the syslinux.cfg file
adding new boot prompt targets for you to boot the RHEL installer.
Once you get that working I don't see any reason (except possibly
space constraints) that you can't install a local installation tree
from which to do your install.

Be sure to let us know if you get this working!

John