Text-based management?

gerrynix gerrynix at yahoo.com
Mon May 29 19:16:34 UTC 2006

--- mylar <micros50 at computer.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 21:29, gerrynix wrote:
> > Many thanks Karl!
> >
> > I was hoping for something a little more robust, but that
> > will help with the non tech users I deal with.
> >
> > Any ideas of add-on, character-based tools that have
> > a little more pizzazzzz?
> >
> > Has anyone installed the current ver of linuxconf on FC 4/5?
> > --
> > Best,
> > Nix
> >
> Even if you use text or GUI based config tools it is still a good idea
> to learn to manually configure the system by hand editing the
> appropriate configuration files. It's still a bit more difficult and
> requires a bit of a learning curve but manual configuration is a great
> adjunct to automated configuration using GUI or text based tools.
>
> mylar

Thanks Mylar,

I totally agree. I am a 16 year (now independent) UNIX/Linux admin.
I wish I could talk all customers into learning the basics. I use admin
interfaces only to show interested clients how to do simple things.
But this client does not want to learn the command line and does not
want to pay consulting fees to do basic things like adding or removing
a user, etc. :-(.  I guess he will pay me to recover when he breaks one
of them . . . Right? ;)
--
Nix