SCSI Drives question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Oct 3 17:33:04 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 20:14 -0700, Arno Weber wrote:
> my bad I guess I first heard about scsi at the amiga club meetings at
> the arco building 15 years before I ever heard of dell so I figured
> theyve been writing scsi drivers and whatnot for amiga longer than
> they have for dells.

SCSI has been around for a LONG time, but it was for higher-end
machines.  The Amiga was really the first consumer-based PC that used
it, however Sun, DEC, IBM and several others used SCSI long before
the Amiga showed up.  BTW, I have almost all of the Amigas (500, 600,
1000, 2000, 3000, 3000HT) and am Certified Amiga Developer CDT-1260.
That dates me.

> Also, historically, Commodore has been MUCH better at not being
> screwed by their vendors/subcontractors than has dell.

Uh, I can't agree to that.  They were RADICALLY different systems.  The
Amigas (and most other Commodore machines) were not made of "commodity"
parts beyond hard drives and memory.  They also never had the production
numbers of Dell, and therefore were not under the pricing pressure that
Dell (and their competitors) are.

You also have to admit that, at least as far as the Amiga went,
Commodore knew cool hardware but hadn't the foggiest idea on how to
market it.  However, this is all very wide of the intent of this list.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

> Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
>         On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 00:36 -0700, Arno Weber wrote:
>         > hi...
>         >
>         > I think scsi was designed for amigas... maybe u should get
>         an amiga?
>
>         Har! No, SCSI was not built for the Amiga...it predates the
>         Amiga by
>         a long way.
>
>         Historical note: SCSI started out as SASI (Shugart Associates
>         Storage
>         Interface).
>
>         >
>         >
>         > Bret Stern wrote:
>         >
>         > On my server, i have two 18gb scsi drives which are
>         > part of a Logical Volume (LVM), and are internal
>         > drives to the Dell 2450.
>         >
>         > They are /dev/sda, and /dev/sdb
>         >
>         >
>         > I'm adding a Dell Powervault connected to an Adaptec
>         > scsi card (not the onboard scsi) and the two 18gb drives
>         > above now become /dev/sdh and /dev/sdi.
>         >
>         > It seems like the server drives should stay /dev/sda
>         > and /dev/sdb,
>         > and the new drives in the powervault should start their
>         > scsi id's after after those in the server??
>         >
>         > I need some scsi tips.
>         >
>         > Bret
>         >
>         > Redhat-install-list mailing list
>         > Redhat-install-list at redhat.com
>         > To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
>         > redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com
>         > Subject: unsubscribe
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         > Subject: unsubscribe
>         ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>         - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer
>         rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>         - VitalStream, Inc. http://www.vitalstream.com -
>         - -
>         - Working with Linux is like wrestling with a worthy opponent.
>         -
>         - Working with Windows is like picking on an annoyed child
>         with a -
>         - loaded handgun. -

-  Memory is the second thing to go, but I can't remember the first! -