Install fails during installation of rpmdb-redhat-4-0.20060803

John Powell powellj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 01:05:39 UTC 2006

Rick Stevens wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 07:34 -0700, Bret Stern wrote:

Rick,

Thanks for the responce. Here are the answers to your questions...

These drives are PATA and are setup in a non RAID configuration... just
standard IDE (master/slave on the IDE bus 1).

I have tried several attempts using the boot options you specifed...
ide=nodma
noapic
ide=nodma + noapic

All install paths lead to the same error at the same point during the
install.

I have also tried swapping out hardware... attempted a single IDE 80gig
Barracuda drive, swapped out two different cdrom readers

The end result being I still get the same error. Pretty odd eh? I have
never ever had such a hard time installing a linux distro before. Redhat
9 went on smooth as can be with the originally specified config. Ubuntu,
Mandrake also had a smooth installation. Fedora Core 5 actually hangs
during the install however when switching bettween CD's or during some
seemingly random RPM (was never the same one during the 5 attempts that
I made and usually occurred on the first install disc).

So all of this and I am still left in the dark. Any further ideas?

Thanks,
John