top info?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Oct 4 21:20:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 12:15 -0700, chuck lawrence wrote:
> hi,
>
> this is not an install question, at least I don't think it is.  sorry.
>
> I've got some greedy apps running that don't let go of allocated memory
> when they complete.  at least that's what I think is happening.  I'm
> looking at top output to troubleshoot.

Hmmm.  Well, if the task is truly dead, any memory that it malloc()d
should be returned to the pool.  However, if it opened IPC mechanisms,
that WON'T be automatically returned.

You should run "ipcs -t" before you run the apps, while the apps are
running and after they terminate.  Any message queues, semaphores or
shared memory segments that are still there but were owned by the apps
can be removed by using ipcrm(8).

> for "Mem:" info, top shows "in_c" and "in_d".  these appear to
> correspond to /proc/meminfo's inact_dirty and inact_clean.
>
> is there anyway to clear inact_dirty memory?

-               500: Internal Fortune Cookie Error                   -