installing compiler

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Oct 6 22:20:58 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 20:51 -0700, Eric John wrote:

> Thanks to those of you who replied.  You all know who you are.

Eric, we prefer bottom posting here (post your comments AFTER what
you're commenting on).  It makes it a lot easier to follow the
chronology and logic flow of the messages.

> I thought google was worthless because of the whole resetting the
> statistics for terrorstorm thing, and because getting them to open my
> gmail account is harder than squeezing blood from a stone.  Yes, I
> frequently try to do both.
>
> From what I can tell gcc and binutils are installed, but the BASH is
> still trying to tell me the compiler is 'not working'

The "not working" thing is more than a little ambiguous, and smells more
like an error message from a broken install script than something the
system would spit out.

> What gives..  do I need to search by each of the bins it says it needs
> and throw them in one of the bin dirs on the path?  Perhaps I will
> attempt this next as I eagerly await your next constructive reply.

Can you do "gcc -v" successfully?  For example, on an FC4 machine, it
will pop up with:

[rick at prophead etc]$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i386-redhat-linux
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix
--enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit
--disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-libgcj-multifile
--enable-languages=c,c++,objc,java,f95,ada --enable-java-awt=gtk
--with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj-1.4.2.0/jre
--host=i386-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)

> Also I burned out using google to search for things because I cant
> compile them... sigh... sucks to be me
>
> Ok then oh incidentally does anyone have any advice on installing tor
> is it recommended and does anyone know if the police have said if they
> found anything on those computers they siezed...

Huh?

> Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 12:16 -0500, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
>         > On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 04:09:55AM -0700, Eric John wrote:
>         > > whenever i try to use ./configure, it says
>         > >
>         > > 'checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no
>         > > configure: error: installation or configuration
>         > > problem: C compiler cannot create executables.'

The most likely candidate there is that you don't have write permissions
for the directory you're working in.  First, find out who you're logged
in as, then verify that YOU have write permissions in the current
directory.  That can be done by doing an "ls -l `pwd`".  Verify that
you are the owner of the of the directory.  For example, I'm logged in
as rick:

	[rick at prophead etc]$ whoami
	rick

And here's the permissions of the directory I'm in:

	[rick at prophead etc]$ ls -ld `pwd`
	drwxr-xr-x  8 root root 4096 Sep 11 13:56 /usr/local/etc

So, I don't have write permissions in this directory--only user "root"
can write to it.  If I were to run a configure script here, I'd get the
same errors you did.

-               The Theory of Rapitivity: E=MC Hammer                -
-                                  -- Glenn Marcus (via TopFive.com) -