Problem installing RHEL 4.0 Hitachi SATA 80GB desksta

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Oct 18 18:38:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 02:32 -0700, Naveed wrote:
> I am trying to install RHEL 4 , but my SATA Disk driver is not
> detected. I am using ASUS P5WDG2 WS and Hitachi deskstar 80gb Sata
> disk. I tried  installing  with every possible change in bios.

RHEL4 only supports a limited number of SATA controllers out of the box,
and it depends on WHICH version of RHEL4 you have (Update 1, 2, 3, or
4) as to which controllers are supported.

If you could be more specific on the motherboard you have and the SATA
controller you've got, we might be able to help a bit more.  In the mean
time, you may want to look at the release notes to see which SATA
platforms are supported by the various versions of RHEL4.  Here's a
link to the various versions of the release notes:

	http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/

Scroll down to the "Red hat Enterprise Linux Update x Release Notes"
section and click on the appropriate link for your platform.  If your
controller isn't there, try accessing the website for your motherboard
and see if they have an RHEL 4 driver disk.  If they do, download it,
put it on a floppy and use "linux dd" at the "boot:" command line of
the installer.  When the installer prompts you for the driver disk,
stick it in and you should be good to go.

-      We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.     -