advice needed, strange mail arrangement desired

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Tue Oct 24 17:12:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 12:46:54PM -0400, David Mackintosh wrote:
> Jeff Kinz wrote:
> >
> >Cable Modem-->Server(laptop)-->hub-----|--->desktop
> >                                       |--->N other machines
> >

> >so here is my question:
> >
> >The desktop machine will only be running about eight hours a day, maybe
> >14.  So there will be periods of time when mail will becoming into the
> >server and its final destination, the desktop will not be available.
> >
> >Can anyone give me a recommendation about how to configure sendmail on
> >the server so that it won't throw any of the mail that needs to get to
> >the desktop away, and so that as soon as the desktop comes up each
> >morning, or maybe after a three-day weekend, it will instantly, or
> >nearly instantly, or at least very soon thereafter deliver that mail to
> >the desktop?
> >
> Why does the mail have to be delivered to the desktop?  Why not just run
> an IMAP or POP server on the "server" and read your mail from there?

Hi David,
yes that would be one solution, but that prevents me from running
procmail in line with sendmail because of the anti-spam paraphernalia I
have accumulated over the years this is my special arrangement and I'm
trying not to deviate from it.

I map and pop, and fetch mail would all interfere with that.

I used fetch mail for years in the 1990s and while it did the job and is
a wonderful tool it's a problem when you want to handle mail in a more
direct fashion.  It can destroy, mask or modify the header information that I
specifically want to preserve

That's why I specified the requirements above, using sendmail to send to
sendmail.

> That said, I'd use an IMAP or POP server on the server anyways and use
> fetchmail to download mail to the desktop if necessary.  I am doing this
> with my ISP -- they collect mail for me, and my system at home goes and
> grabs it at regular intervals.  That way if my systems are down at home
> the mail just queue's up properly at the ISP.

Speech Recognition Technology was used to create this e-mail