paypal scam - tracing link

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Thu Oct 26 20:20:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 12:42:17PM -0700, Bret Stern wrote:
> [...]

That's possible, but it would have had to have been the account of
whoever owns /usr/local/apache/htdocs, or root, in order to install
files there.

> or are there other
> ways..including insided folks,

That's possible, but seem unlikely unless it was a recently laid-off
employee, and they hadn't changed all the passwords the person knew.

 or other??

As Harold has already mentioned, the cracker might have taken
advantage of a known vulnerability in software whose security patches
hadn't been kept up.  If he gets in as root, he "owns" the box.

I, too, am using sshblack or something similar on the ten exposed
machines I watch over.

> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Bob McClure, Jr.

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
"Where you go in the hereafter depends on what you were after here."
  - Thanks to Graffiti, 2 March 2004